Thursday, December 8, 2011


I look at the clouds as lightning flashes
Far away in the distance, thunder crashes.
Outside the window raindrops patter down
Playing a melody as they hit the ground.

The doorbell, I hear it ring
This stormy night, who would it bring?
I open the door, who could it be
Standing in the rain looking sorry, was she.

She did not have to say anything for I could see her pain
Her man had made her weep again.
A watery smile, a tear down her chin
Wordlessly I stood aside and let her in.

We sat in silence as the night grew late
As each second passed I felt my heart further break.
I wondered when was the last time I had seen her smile
Her once cheerful disposition now seemed so dull.

I wondered why they remained together
When sadness and tears were all he gave her.
This girl, this lady, this delicate flower
Deserved not a man so dour.

A man who loved her she should get
One who would do anything to never see her sad.
I gazed at her, my heart screamed ‘me’
But I knew that that would never be.

----

It’s been months now since that day
She’d left him soon after, I heard them say.
Busy as I was, we haven’t spoken since then
Though I am glad their relationship had met its end.

One day I saw her as she walked past
With a new man she was getting on the bus.
She was laughing merrily, her face aglow
Between them I could see love flow.

I dropped my head, I hurried away
My heart’s hurt, my face would betray.
She does not know that I love her so
There’s nothing left to do but to let her go.

But shield your heart, my dear butterfly
I would hate to once more see you cry…

No comments:

Post a Comment